Soft Tissue Manipulation and Massage
Swedish Body Massage.
- This is the most common and best known type of massage in the West.
- It is a system of long strokes, kneading, friction, tapping, percussion, vibration and shaking motions that apply pressure between muscles and bones in the direction of blood flow returning to the heart.
- It can be relaxing and invigorating with its main purpose being to increase the oxygen flow in the blood and release toxins from the muscles.
It is also used for:
- Stretching the muscular tissues to relieve tight and stressed muscles.
- To reduce muscle spasm, pain and tension.
- To reduce swelling caused by an accumulation of fluid in the tissues.
Sports massage was originally developed to prepare athletes for their best performance, their recovery and for training.
Though you don’t have to be an athlete to benefit from it. Even spending too much time at a desk, in a wheelchair or in bed for too long can cause muscle overuse and tension.
This form of massage emphasizes the prevention and healing of injuries to tendons and muscles, and is beneficial for chronic pain or limited joint range of movements.
It is the manipulation of soft tissue in order to release tension, promote good muscle condition and reduce pain. Our therapist will work deep in the muscle to realign connective tissue and muscle fibres, with the aim of achieving easier movement and improvements in posture.